Projects: Brain structural & functional changes associated to cognitive rehabilitation in neurodegenerative diseases
Name of the principal Investigator: Naroa Ibarretxe Bilbao
Non academic entity: Parkinson Association of Biscay (ASPARBI)
Contact: Begoña Díez Arrola / Eneritz Arce González
Start date: 01/01/2013
End date: 31/12/2016
Financiation scheme: Provincial Council of Biscay
In this project the effectiveness of a comprehensive program of cognitive rehabilitation (REHACOP) to improve cognition, clinical symptoms and functional disability in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) is analyzed. They have investigated the brain changes associated with treatment and a 18 months-long longitudinal track was conducted.
- The results showed that the group following the program REHACOP significantly improved in various cognitive functions, decreased functional disability and increased connectivity and brain activity in frontal and temporal areas.
- Reducing economic, social and health costs in the long term and job creation and project scholarships.
- Awards: Stellar oral communication Acknowledgment(SEN) and the best poster prize (FANPSE), the Certificate of Recognition of Good Practice by the European Union and Convive 2013 Award
- Publications in international journals of impact and delivery and participation in conferences, workshops, and national-international congresses as important works
- 14ª Deusto-Banco Santander Research Award - Second prize