Project: Brain structural & functional changes associated to cognitive rehabilitation in neurodegenerative diseases
Principal Investigator: Naroa Ibarretxe Bilbao
Main external stakeholder: Parkinson Association of Biscay (ASPARBI)
Start date: 01/01/2013
End date: 31/12/2016
Interdisciplinary Platform/ Area: Ageing and Wellbeing
Financiation scheme: Provincial Council of Biscay
The project analyses the effectiveness of a comprehensive programme of cognitive rehabilitation (REHACOP) to improve cognition, clinical symptoms and functional disability in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD). The project investigated the brain changes associated with treatment and a 18 months-long longitudinal track was conducted.
- The results showed that the group following the program REHACOP significantly improved in various cognitive functions, decreased functional disability and increased connectivity and brain activity in frontal and temporal areas.
- Reducing economic, social and health costs in the long term and promoting job creation and project scholarships.
- Awards: Stellar oral communication acknowledgment(SEN) and the best poster prize (FANPSE), the Certificate of Recognition of Good Practice by the European Union and Convive 2013 Award
- Publications in international journals of impact and delivery and participation in conferences, workshops, and national-international congresses as important works
- 14ª Deusto-Banco Santander Research Award - Second prize