Project: The influence of gambling advertising on the behavior of teenagers in sports betting: a guide for regulators, operators, and institutions
Principal Investigator: Ana Estévez
Main external stakeholder: Nottingham Trent University
Start date: 01/10/2016
End date: 31/07/2018
Interdisciplinary Platform/ Area: Health
Funding scheme: 3rd ONCE International Award
- The research group has positioned itself in a unique place in the international context, as there are currently only two other research groups (based in Australia) working on the topic.
- The project is having a direct impact on Spanish legislation on advertising of gaming products. The background document supporting the new law for gaming advertising (November 2017) cites and recognises the work of the research team to justify some of the specifications. In June 2018, the team has participated at a meeting of the Congress of Deputies - Joint Commission for the Study of the Drugs Problem to present the impact of gaming on young people.
- In cooperation with the Plasencia Rehabilitation Players Association (AJER), the research group participated in a prevention programme developed with minors in schools in Extremadura, where around 800 students (aged 13-18) received an intervention on the influence that advertising and the marketing of gaming products can have on their behaviour.
- IPJ has generated a guide of recommendations for institutions, media and game operators on responsible gaming practices.
- The project has been covered in radio programmes and in the press, both in Spain and in the United Kingdom, and has given rise to numerous publications in scientific journals of high impact, such as in the Journal of Gambling Studies, the International Gambling Studies, Addiction Research & Theory, the International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, and the Journal of Sport and Social Issues.
- Project results have also been shared with professionals in training sessions, workshops, conferences.
- 14ª Deusto-Banco Santander Research Award - Second prize