Project: The refugee population in Biscay and its integration process
Principal Investigator: Encarnación La Spina
Main external stakeholder: Biscay Provincial Council
Start date: 01/01/2016
End date: 31/12/2019
Interdisciplinary Platform/ Area: Social Justice and Inclusion
Funding schemes: Biscay Provincial Council, Aristos Campus Mundus - Campus of International Excellence and BBVA Foundation - Leonardo Grants for Cultural Researchers and Creators
HARRERA aims to respond to the challenge of human mobility and the issue of reception and integration of persons seeking international protection. The project is aligned with Sustainable Development Goals 10 (Reducing inequalities) and 11 (Sustainable cities and communities), as well as with the priorities defined in the context of societal challenges 6 (Europe in a changing world: Inclusive, innovative and responsive societies) and 7 (Secure societies: Protecting the freedom and security of Europe and its citizens) of the European Horizon 2020 Programme.
The project has allowed to:
- at the academic and scientific level:
- Carry out a study on the legal and political implications of the reception and integration management at national and European levels, as well as it impact in Biscay.
- Develop an evaluation of the Goihabe programme for the urgent and necessary need for the integration of persons applying for international protection in Biscay. Financed by the Department of Employment, Social Inclusion and Equality of the Biscay Provincial Council, the main objective of the study was to determine the impact and assess its possible continuity within the framework of public policies for social insertion.
- Strengthen scientific collaborations with other academic actors. This collaboration has resulted in the study ¿Acoger sin integrar? El sistema de acogida y las condiciones de integración de personas solicitantes y beneficiarias de protección internacional en España” and other scientific activities in the framework of the national project "“Análisis del proceso de acogida e integración de refugiados en España (2009-2016)” of the ACM 2016 call.
- Deepen research in the area, through a dozen postgraduate projects on asylum, integration and reception supervised by members of the research team.
- integrate scientific conclusions into the institutional agenda, providing channels for advice or recommendations to local administrations on integration guidelines, good practice management and programme evaluation.
- create open spaces for collaboration between the scientific community, institutional actors (Biscay Provincial Council, Basque Government, Ararteko Basque Country Ombudsman, Getxo, Barakaldo and Bilbao City Councils), third sector organisations (CEAR-Euskadi, CARITAS, Ellacuria Foundation, Red Cross) that have participated in the evaluation and monitoring of public policies, as well as other NGOs (Jesuit Migrant Service) or national and international networks (IMISCOE, FES).
- the dissemination of results:
- through the organisation of multiple events: presentation of the report “¿Acoger sin integrar?” (abril 2018); “Protección de las personas refugiadas especialmente vulnerables en frontera, tránsito y destino“ (February 2020).
- in specialised scientific journals (for example, Migraciones and CIDOB Yearbook on Immigration 2019).
- in expert forums: congresses, national and international conferences
- on the media (e.g. el país, irekita of Cáritas bizkaia).