Project: Analysis of the third gender digital divide among adolescents in the Basque Country
Principal Investigator: María Silvestre Cabrera
Project coordinator: Estibaliz Linares Bahillo
Main external stakeholder: Beurko BHI
Start date: 16/01/2017
End date: 30/16/2019
Interdisciplinary Platform/ Area: Gender
The Brecha Digital project aims to analyse the multiple elements that interact in the third gender digital divide (situations of cyberbullying in Relation, Information and Communication Technologies (RICTs)) such as schools, families and students in the Basque Country. The project responds to Sustainable Development Goal 5 (Gender Equality), specifically to two of its targets: 5.2 eliminate forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other forms of exploitation; 5.b improve the use of enabling technologies, especially information and communications technology to promote the women’s empowerment.
The project has allowed:
- to have a clear impact on the population under study, through
- the participation of 9 secondary schools (Beurko BHI, Arrigorriaga BHI, Bentades, Oianguren BHI, Mutriku BHI, Eguzkitza BHI, Ekialdo BHI, Inmaculada, and Murgia BHI). 18 discussion groups were held in the schools with first-cycle ESO students (161 students) and with parents from the Parents’ Associations, as well as 22 interviews with teachers.
- the intervention pilot project with first-cycle ESO students at Beurko BHI school to detect and prevent misuse of social networks.
- the participation in two Zientzia Azoka Science fairs. In 2018, the team presented a poster with some of the project´s results and designed an online survey aimed at teenagers who could "compete" while realising the bad or good use that could be made of social networks. In 2019, a photo-call was designed with messages to prevent the misuse of social networks by youth.
- The dissemination of results at the Conference on “Brecha digital de género 3.0. Análisis, diagnóstico y propuestas de intervención” and at national and international conferences.
- the publication in indexed journals (1,2).
- the publication of the doctoral thesis that gave rise to the research project with Emakunde – Basque Institute for Women
- the publication of the Guía Brecha Digital de Género 3.0