Project: Bilbao Next Lab – Urban Specialisation Strategy
Principal Investigator: Miren Estensoro García
Main external stakeholder: Bilbao Ekintza
Start date: 01/01/2015
End date: 31/12/2018
Interdisciplinary Platform/ Area: Territory
Funding scheme: Bilbao Municipality
Bilbao Next Lab seeks to promote an economic transformation process through smart specialisation. This project addresses the challenge of the complexity resulting from different policies and strategies defined at different territorial levels that coexist in the same territory or region. The Smart Specialisation Strategy (RIS3) of Bilbao,iBilbao2020, seeks smart growth based on knowledge, innovation and creativity, giving priority to sectors and areas of cultural and creative industries (CCIs), advanced services and the digital economy.
- The project has allowed to develop new concepts and analytical models on:
- the role of cities in the Smart Specialisation Strategies;
- the processes of entrepreneurial discovery in urban specialisation strategies;
- the strategies of Local Development Agencies for the promotion of local economic development;
- the role of research as smart specialisation process facilitators (Action Research for Smart); and
- Creating Shared Value under Smart Specialisation Strategies.
- Publications in specialised journals, participation in conferences and influence on public policy and business.