Project: Well-being and Disability
Principal Investigator: Aiur Retegi Uria
Main external stakeholder: FEKOOR - Federación Coordinadora de Personas con Discapacidad Física y Orgánica de Bizkaia
Start date: 01/01/2019
End date: 31/12/2019
Interdisciplinary Platform/ Area: Social Justice and Inclusion
BIENESTAR aims to solve the challenge of autonomy for people with functional diversity by designing and building inclusive solutions. The project responds to Sustainable Development Goals 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure) and 10 (Reduced Inequalities).
The Project has enabled:
- on the scientific level, to detect problems and needs in a qualitative way via User Research techniques (dialogues, personal interviews, focus groups and creative sessions) with the community of residents in Etxegoki (Bilbao), and to define 8 lines of work to address the needs that people showed interest in and where no alternatives had been found on the market.
- to launch industrial design projects, providing specific solutions for the identified problems and developing prototypes that have been tested by several users.
- Several proposals have been validated at the prototype stage and routes are being considered with a view to their commercial exploitation.
- One of the solutions proposed is already being used by the Etxegoki community of residents. It is a specifically designed clamp for gripping small objects for people with difficulties related to fine motor skills.
- to establish a co-creation process between the Etxegoki community of residents, the FEKOOR association support team and Deusto Design Research Group, at a pioneering facility at European level (Design for All Foundation Award in 2015 for Best International Practices and “Quality Innovation Award” in the Social Innovation category, received in 2017).
- the dissemination of the results at the exhibition “3D: inclusive technology and design for all” , held in Etxegoki (June 2019).